How to make your own homemade Pure Vanilla Extract
This recipe for your own, homemade vanilla extract will let you up your baking game!
- 8-10 Madagascar vanilla beans
- 1 cup good vodka (aim for 35-40% alcohol content)
- A clean, sealable glass bottle or jar – swing tops recommended!
- Sharp knife
- Cutting board
Prep the Beans and place them in the jar:
- Lay the beans on your cutting board and cut them in half, lengthwise. No need to be super neat, just open them up to expose the vanilla seeds inside. In case the beans are longer than the jar, you can cut the beans in half as well. Put the beans in the bottle or jar.
Pour in the Vodka:
- Use the funnel to pour the vodka into the jar until it covers all the vanilla beans. Make sure your vodka is good quality.
Close it Up Tight:
- Seal the jar well. Give it a good shake.
Store in a Dark Spot:
- Put the jar in a cool, dark place like a cupboard. Now, we wait for the magic to happen. Be patient, it's worth it!
Shake it Up Sometimes:
- Every week or so, give the jar a good shake.
Wait (Not So) Patiently:
- Wait at least 8 weeks. Longer is even better! Your extract will turn into a beautiful amber liquid that smells like pure happiness.
Congratulations! You just made your own Pure Madagascar Vanilla Bean Extract. You can strain the husks and seeds out of the bottle or jar, or you could choose to leave them in. The longer you let the mixture sit, the better it will taste. Many people opt to use some as they go, and leave the husks and seeds in.
When it's done, it's like liquid gold. Homemade vanilla is your secret weapon in the kitchen, making everything taste better, and it's fun to make! Taste the magic in every drop of extract you create at home!